As soon as the story of Roy Moore performing a sexual misconduct back in the 1970s broke, Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain asked him to step down from his Senate race.
Back in 2008, however, McCain was not as harsh, having in mind he alone faced sexual misconduct allegations regarding a lobbyist 30 years younger than him.
Still, McCain remained adamant in his intention to kick Moore out of the race, saying he should “immediately step aside and allow the people of Alabama to elect a candidate they can be proud of.”
The allegations against Roy Moore are deeply disturbing and disqualifying. He should immediately step aside and allow the people of Alabama to elect a candidate they can be proud of.
— John McCain (@SenJohnMcCain) November 9, 2017
Mitt Romney, who served as a Massachusetts governor and ran in 2012 as a GOP presidential nominee, almost immediately tweeted, “innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions.”
Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections. I believe Leigh Corfman. Her account is too serious to ignore. Moore is unfit for office and should step aside.
— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) November 10, 2017
In 2008, both The Post and The New York Times released stories accusing McCain of having an immoral relationship with lobbyist Vicki Iseman. The narrative explained how McCain abused his position as Chair of the Commerce Committee to pursue Iseman, who was performing tasks within the Commerce Committee at the time.
Iceman and McCain dismissed all allegations of the affair.
This clearly put McCain in a very troubling position, where he abused his title to pressure the young staffer into having a relationship with him, off the record, of course.
The U.K. Telegraph analyzed in a piece titled, “John McCain sex claim hits US election” that “the revelations about Mr. McCain are unlikely to prevent him wrapping up his party’s nomination in the next few weeks, but could affect his standing against his Democratic opponent.”
As a result of this entire mess, McCain was listed among the “Keating Five” senators, who took part in the public corruption affair, by supporting lobbyist Charles Keating back in the late 1980s.
“Neither Senator McCain nor the campaign will dignify false rumors and gossip by responding to them. John McCain has never done favors for anyone, not lobbyists or any special interest. That’s a clear 24-year record,” a high-ranked campaign adviser stated.
Even though this affair became a public secret, no one ever asked McCain to step down.
Iseman filed a lawsuit against the newspapers, and it wasn’t until 2009 that the case settled. The lobbyist was left out to dry, while McCain..well, you know how it all went down.
As far as Moore is concerned, he refused to admit to the story that he had a sexual relationship with a minor in 1979.
Moore took a drastic stance against The Post, noting he and his wife were victimized with hateful articles in regards to their public interest non-profit firm, The Foundation for Moral Law. “But we endured that,” he said.
“The Washington Post published yet another attack on my character and reputation in a desperate attempt to stop my political campaign for the United States Senate,” he said. “The attacks involve a minor and they are completely false.”
Moore carried on by saying he already had his fair share of elections and investigations, and it all ended in his favor so far.
The candidate is now potentially looking to file a lawsuit against The Post after the story broke.
Moore had an interview with Sean Hannity on Friday, where he pointed out that if he went along with McCain’s demands to “step aside” just because of this story, no one should be looking for a political office.